Skip to main content

'So That You Can Come Back'


 A walk and a taste of home before we take off.


 There's something calming about two ducks slowly swimming across water at eye level.

 

Sitting back on a park bench to watch the end-of-day light on the water, is also very calming.

 

The view of the sea at the edge of the world, another soothing view.

All the restful hues of blue.


 Add in a tree to complete the picture.

 

Back home where I sit and write (mostly emails at the moment with any creative writing being pushed aside for more administrative type writing). I'll get back into the more fun stuff once I'm back. 

~*~ 

 

Love this contribution to a project called Bags of Hope,where school pupils were asked to illustrate large, paper bags that cancer patients use to store and carry their personal belongings while in hospital.  

 

While at the mall buying last minute stuff for our trip,we were stopped by a volunteer and invited to take a look at the display. Both R and I were touched by the simple messages and bright art and I confess, both of us got a little attack of the 'I'm not crying, you're crying' - the messages were so touching. The fact that children were the encouragers, somehow making it all the more affecting.


 The names of the children and the school they are pupils at were on each bag, but for privacy I've cropped out that info.

~*~

I always feel a little pang whenever I travel away from home, I'm such a homebody (my star sign is Cancer ... so that comes as no surprise). What always helps is knowing that I will be coming back. 

The title of this post refers to a Terry Pratchett's Discworld quote, principally from his children's novel, A Hat of Sky

 “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conditions

  About month ago, we were travelling towards the east, going back home from a place almost as far south as you can get. It was very early on a winter's morning and it was foggy.      As the sun slowly emerged, the muslin-cloth mist allowed us to safely observe its true nature. I had never before seen the sun looking exactly like the ball of fire it really is.     As we travelled,  I took photos of this phenomenon through the car window. Sometimes it looked as if the sun had set the world on fire.   As we approached Lake Waihola, the sun was beginning to fade, the light on the water turning the scenery into a facsimile of an oil painting worthy of Turner.   ~*~ Where I live, it's now just past mid-winter.  The mornings are frosty and the roads deathly with icy patches. When I heard the wailing of several sirens near our house this lunchtime, I wondered what had happened. The fire engines and police cars seemed to be heading for wher...

Look and Then Look Again

  Thanks to Jill Bowie for this photo and the photos of the launch. J&K (aka Jenny and Kay (moi), occasional touring poets) taken at Jenny's book launch, where her wonderful new collection, Biology Field Trip - a different way of seeing , was seen off to sail the Book-o-Verse.     T his is the book I'm talking about.  When I started to read Jenny's book, at about ten poems in I had to stop and take a breath. These poems are that astonishing; like an amazing view, they cannot be taken in with just one click.  Part of Jenny's launch consisted of an interview by Paddy Richardson. L-R: Cold Hub Publisher Roger Hicken, Jenny Powell, Paddy Richardson, myself.   A different way of seeing is a construct that Jenny brilliantly interweaves throughout the collection, beginning with memories of a friend who even while losing his battle with health issues, still manages to alert Jenny to seeing things differently. In another poem, she describes the dissection...

Occasional

 BIRTHDAYS For me, the day of my birthday takes on a suspended animation aspect - as if the day separates from the rest of any other day in the world to solely concentrate itself on giving me some huge attention. And for once, I give myself permission to luxuriate in that attention. Now that social media has entered the picture, even more attention zooms my way. And then there are the cards and chocolate and wine and flowers and even sometimes cake. The best thing about birthdays has to be hearing from every one of my kids and the mokos / grandchildren. That's the best thing.      Then, the flowers fade, the alcohol (oh so delightfully) disappears and the cards are filed away ... until next year. [ Special mention to my friend Ann who even though it's mid-winter,  gathered up some snowdrops and narcissus  to bring me a small hint of Spring.] ~*~  HOLIDAY ANGELS     I try and keep the slowed down time my birthday allowed in to stay around. The...